I’m trying to be positive that my Monday will be better than it’s night before.
Last night, Jim and I had just drifted off to sleep when – BEEP BEEP – the smoke alarm went off causing us both to jump out of our skin! We didn’t smell smoke so Jim hopped up and searched the house finding… nothing. He came back to bed and asked, “The smoke alarm did go off, right? I wasn’t dreaming?” “Yep,” I replied. “I heard it too.” Odd thing is, Duke, ever on the alert, had no reaction to the whole incident.
So we settled back in and tried to go back to sleep. It wasn’t easy, but apparently we did.
Because again – BEEEEEP! – sounded the alarm again.
“Didn’t we just buy a new smoke alarm?” I asked. “Yep, and it has a non-replaceable five year battery,” Jim grumbled back (he would remember such a thing when awaken out of a sound sleep). He didn’t bother getting up to search the house again.
It never went off again the rest of the night. Of course, I think we were wondering the same things. Will we wake back up to a house filled with smoke and no smoke alarm alerting us? Is it somehow carbon monoxide? But we have another carbon monoxide detector in the basement to sound the alarm if something should happen. What will I grab if we have to make a fast getaway? Which kid will we live with if the house burns down?
Okay, those last two wonderings were solely mine, but I’m pretty sure neither of us slept soundly all night.