Some people like quiet, while others crave noise and activity around them.
I love quiet. Sometimes I just need to turn everything off in the house and enjoy the blessed silence. It’s bliss when I need it. It’s peace when the weight of the world is heavy on my shoulders. It’s necessary when I want to think. It’s the best way to read a book. It’s a wonderful way to try and forget…or remember.
However, there are sounds that I love. Some sounds that I miss. And other sounds that I crave.
- The chatter of my children. They’ve long been adults and I love talking and listening to them now. But I miss that chatter of their childhood.
- The whinny of a horse. I swear I will miss that sound till the day I die.
- Laughter. Especially familiar laughter. Something that I said to Jim this morning made him laugh. And I loved that.
- Rain. I love a good rain. Not right now though. We’ve had a lot of rain lately!
- After my mom and dad moved to Florida, my mom would call me every year on my birthday and sing “Happy Birthday” to me. I miss that.
- Duke’s got the greatest dog yawn. It makes me smile as does his unabashed burp after every meal.
- A cackling chicken. We probably won’t be able to have chickens after these girls are gone and I will miss that.
- I do miss the morning duck quacks that I always enjoyed when we had ducks.
- The sound of a new book.
- Singing birds. I love having my bedroom window open and listening to the birds greet the new day.
What about you? Do you love quiet or noise?